Thursday, October 29, 2009

Bologna

There's really only one reason to go to Bologna: the food. Bologna is where a lot of really important Italian foods were created. Bolognese sauce (meat sauce) is probably the most popular. They are also responsible for filled pastas like tortellini and ravioli, parmesean cheese, and proscuitto. Its nickname is "Bologna the Fat" because of the food. Which is fine with me.

We had easily the most delicious lunch ever at a restaurant that we found while wandering near the hotel (which was in a great location btw). I don't know what exactly one can do to regular old bruschetta to make it as good as it was at this place, but I don't care. I also had some tortelloni in a cheese and wine sauce that was amazing. Good times.


I must find you again some time, Il Saraceno.

Bologna is not a normal tourist destination. It has a small square with stores and a cathedral on it, and some medieval towers, but otherwise it's pretty much a regular city. The church was especially odd because its construction took hundreds of years and, as you can see, somewhere around the halfway point they completely changed artistic directions. It was a little odd.


Cathedral

Clock tower and shops on the square

The square



Fountain on the square

One of the medieval towers


I wouldn't spend more than a day there at a time because of the lack of sights, but if you are anywhere near it and want delicious food, you should go. I had a delicious mushroom ravioli for dinner and the most amazing hot chocolate ever while I was there as well. This hot chocolate was like they just melted a hershey bar and poured it in a cup, that's not thick it was. Amazing.

No comments: