Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Online shopping machine

The great/awful thing about January is that there are fabulous sales everywhere. I think it's safe to say that about half of my clothes shopping every year is done in January, and the rest is spread out fairly evenly throughout the year. Anyway, I've been doing a great deal of online shopping lately (remember the shoes from last week? They are fabulous). The amount of online shopping I do is directly proportional to the hatred for the amount of time I have to spend at work. I had a few BR sprees last week, to be delivered this week (some has already arrived), so I thought I'd share.


I love cashmere sweaters. And dresses. The purchase of this marriage of the two was a no-brainer.



I also got it in this color, which online looks like purple but in real life is more like a dark blue...I'm considering returning it because it doesn't look right with black. It looks ok with grey tights, but then I feel that I need to buy grey shoes, and then I'm opening up a whole new can of worms that I'm not entirely sure I want to get into.



I'll level with you. I'm usually overdressed for work, what with all of the dresses and skirts that I own. But on Fridays, especially during tax season, I want to wear my Uggs all day. So I usually roll with corduroys. I ordered these because they came in 'short' length (perfect for Ugg wear), and because they are on sale for $35. And OMG. They fit PERFECTLY. I went back online today and ordered them in tan as well.



Now on to this sweater. I've been eyeing it up for months, waiting for it to go on sale. And finally, it did. I wanted it to wear over short sleeved dresses in the winter. With a belt. I ordered it separately from all this other stuff, so it hasn't arrived yet, but I'm pumped. If it goes on sale again, I'm getting it in tan as well.

And now it's Shopping Knowledge time. I've many times discussed the Price Adjustment situation on this blog (but if you haven't read it...save your receipts...most stores will give you a price adjustment if you've bought something that is now on sale when you show them a receipt. At Gap/BR/Old Navy, the policy is 14 days. It differs elsewhere, but it's WELL worth looking into). Now I'm going to discuss the Online Promotional Code situation.

If you are buying ANYTHING online, it is completely foolish to not open Google, type in "Promotional codes, XXX" (XXX being the name of the store you are buying from). You will get several responses, and you will 9 times out of 10 find one or two codes to use to get further discounts. For example, I have never paid shipping on an online purchase. And you shouldn't have to. Also, I can occasionally get further discounts by using this method. When you check out online, there is a place to type in the promo codes to get your discount. Now that you've been warned, it is your own fault if you wind up paying too much.

Now that I've dropped an egg of knowledge on you all, I'm going to be productive for the rest of the day. Yaaaay.

No comments: