So those of you that know me fairly well are aware that I get on these "kicks" every so often where I think of something I want to buy and then I am obsessed with it for weeks. This happened with the Wii, which I spent well over a grand on a few months ago and now I barely play it anymore (although I attribute this more to there being new TV shows on now. Next summer I'l probably start playing again). Sometimes I actually cave in and purchase these items and love them forever, sometimes I actually purchase them and eventually tire of them, and sometimes I stop myself from buying them and eventually forget about them.
For a little while a few months ago, I was on a bike kick. This somewhat corresponded with my "moving to Austin" kick. But then Blake told me that he thought I'd be too scared to ride a bike on the streets of Charlotte because there aren't really bike lanes and people whiz past you really fast and it's generally unsafe when he rides his. And he's way better at it than me. So I let it go. But then it came back when I started taking these pilates classes. The place is about a mile and a half from my house, so it's an awesome walk on Saturday mornings. But when I want to go Wednesday nights, and it's dark when I leave, I don't want to walk. And I don't really want to deal with my car either. So again, I thought "bike!" and I did some research and found a few that I liked online.
But Blake reminded me again about how scary it is, and how close he's come to being hit by cars while on his bike, and that riding a bike at night isn't particularly safe either. But this time he offered a solution: a scooter.
At first, I thought that I would have to pay for scooter insurance or something, but apparently the 50cc models are essentially motorized bicycles, so you don't need additional insurance or a special drivers license. And I noticed the other day that along the streets of uptown Charlotte, there are all of these little scooter locking stations for people who ride them. And since they go about 40 mph, there is much less chance of a car whizzing by me to pass me. This may be the answer.
I have found a number of models that are awesome. Blake wants one too now. He likes the Honda Metropolitan or the Yamaha Zuma; I'm more partial to the Vespa LX or the Yamaha Vino Classic. We're heading to SC for Kelli Brown's wedding this weekend, but we have next weekend mostly open, so I think we might go visit some dealerships and see what's up. It would be awesome to have one of these I think. Especially for when I have to be at the office until 10pm and I don't want to walk home alone. I'm pretty excited.
But I think, knowing me, I should wait until Christmas to buy one of these...just in case I lose interest. But knowing my hatred of driving, this seems like the perfect fit. And how cute would I be on one of these? Honestly. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment