Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Why?

Why is it so important for everyone to change their facebook status to something along the lines of "I voted!" today? Isn't that a little bit like making your status "I had lunch today?" Yes, you were supposed to vote and you did, congratulations. And yes, I realize that I discussed the fact that I voted on here the other day, but that was more to bitch about the three hour wait time than anything else.

Also - isn't there a reason why we vote by secret ballot? It's great that some people believe in something very strongly and openly support it, but openly supporting something is not the same as being openly belligerent about the opposing viewpoint. I feel like for the past several months, people have been jamming their preferred choice down my throat via putting down the other candidate's ideas. Isn't it a little sad that for some of us, we go to the polling location and vote for the lesser of two evils rather than someone that we 100% believe in? Because I gotta level with you, I did not 100% believe in either of the presidential candidates. I about 60% believed in who I voted for, and 80% hated what his opponent said, so that's how I made my decision.

And seriously, celebrities, you're regular people...stop throwing your ideas around like they should matter any more than mine or anyone else's. They don't. You're not famous because you're smart (I'm looking at you, Madonna. And Spencer Pratt. And Paris Hilton. And anyone else who didn't even bother to get a college degree but makes about 300 times the national average salary).

On this election day, I just sincerely hope that everyone (a) voted, (b) did a lot of research before they did so rather than relying on TV commercials and celebrity endorsements, and (c) realized that the current economic crisis wasn't completely caused by the Bush administration...it was caused about 50/50 by democrats and republicans. Using your vote as a punishment for the high price of gas is completely outrageous. You should be voting for the person that you think has the better way to get OUT of the crisis, not against the person whose party might have caused it.

Comment as you will...but I have no desire to know who you voted for. Just like I'm not going to tell you who I voted for. Let's try to get through this election with a shred of dignity here. That's more than the candidates can say, given the preponderance of negative ad campaigning that has been going on. Best thing about today being election day: no more having to watch effing political commercials. Thank GOD.

No comments: