Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Lost hobbies

During busy season, many of my hobbies go by the wayside to make room for working 65 hour weeks. During many of these weeks, I work 12 hour days Monday - Thursday, 8 hour days Friday and Saturday, and have to fly someplace on Sunday night. So I do pretty much nothing but work, eat, sleep, and get to the gym if it's at all humanly possible.

Now's the time of year that I try to resume my normal hobbies. Yoga, cooking, volunteering, shopping, all of the things that make me happy that I make enough money to afford to do them. And then last night, when there was nothing on TV when I got home from work, I remembered another one: reading. All I've read for the past 3 months is accounting workpapers and various magazines that I read either on airplanes or while Blake is forcing me to partake in some boring sports watching at home. I subscribe to kind of a lot of magazines actually. Cooking Light, Fitness, Shape, and Self. And recently I've considered adding Women's Health, because I've been buying it at the airport when I run out of other magazines. Also, I buy LIfe & Style when at airports. I realize it's trash, but it's entertaining.

I started reading Wicked in December when I went home for Christmas (I typically read a lot there, because I'm usually car-less unless my mom or sister is around). I'm about half way done. I knocked out another section last night. I think when I finish it, I'll resume my normal summer library routine. The main branch of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg County Library is 2 blocks from my house, so I like to visit there frequently when I have the time.

Another lost hobby: needlepoint. Yes, I am like a granny. I made Dana a pretty baby blanket when Reagan was born, and now Kristin is pregnant, so I'm considering doing the same for her. But she's due in November, and summer isn't typically a time that I sit around sewing, so I'll have to see if I have the time. Blankets take forever. Maybe I'll go small and make some bibs instead.

No comments: