Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Healthy living progression; food processor

So yesterday I had an awesome gym workout, fueled by my anger about my raise. I did the really hard adjustable-stride elliptical for 25 minutes, lifted for 25 minutes, and then rode the recumbent bike for 15 minutes. Pretty solid for a Monday.

I'm still not sure what to do about this raise. A lot of people around here got way more screwed than I did (like the people who just got promoted and should have had gigantic raises but didn't), and although my monthly income will likely only increase by $50 after I do my annual 401K percentage increase, it's really not too horrible. I don't have my student loan anymore, so I have more than enough to live off of and save up for either a car or a trip to Italy. But I'm planning to keep my options open, and inform the powers that be around here how unimpressed I am with the current situation. Maybe my bonus will be decent enough to get me through.

When I went home, I made spinach and pine nut pesto (a Giada recipe) over chicken tortellini. I've never eaten much pesto, and it was a bit heavy on the pine nuts for my taste, but it was good. I'm serving the extra over grilled chicken tonight. I'm going to also steam some broccoli and make a (small) side of parmesean risotto.

The food processor is GREAT. It's a KitchenAid (to match my mixer) 7-cup model. Most places only make a 3-cup and then jump to like an 11-cup, which is way too large. But the 7-cup is perfect for cooking for two. And it came with a 3-cup bowl and blade as well, in case I'm doing something smaller. I think my favorite feature is the slicing/shredding blade, which allegedly will grate mozzarella cheese for me. All I have to do is attach the blade and drop the cheese in there. I'm really excited to try that out, because grating the cheese is my least favorite part of pizza making. I know I'm supposed to be being healthy right now, but making one pizza can't hurt that much, right? I may do that this weekend. I also have to try to slice veggies with it. I bet that's cool.

I'm currently avoiding work/going on an iTunes CD buying spree. Yay! After work today, I'm going to stop by the butcher (strangely, we've run out of boneless chicken breasts) and then do my weekly outside workout of walking down to Best Buy (maybe someone has returned a Mario Kart today?) and Target (I need to buy a grill pan because I'm afraid of using the grill by myself). I'm going to round out my activities by doing another half hour of Fit this evening. I'm going to hit up some ab strengthening routines.

Is it Friday yet?

No comments: